Home / FAQ

Are Psychology Associates licensed in the USVI?

"Psychological Associate" means an individual, licensed within the meaning of Title 27 V.I.C. Chapter 2, who offers to render or renders professional psychological services such as interviewing or administering and interpreting tests of mental abilities, interest, aptitudes, and personality characteristics for such purposes as psychological evaluation, or for educational, vocational or personnel selection, guidance of placement. A psychological associate may engage in overall personality appraisal or classification, personality counseling or personality adjustment techniques. A psychological associate may only practice under supervision as defined in the rules and regulations adopted by the board.

What kind of degree do I need to become a Psychology Associate?

Applicants for a Psychological Associate License shall have received a Masters degree in psychology from an institution which has been accredited by a regional body recognized and approved by the Council on Post-secondary education and the United States Department of Education. The degree must be based on a program of planned and directed studies, which is psychological in nature. All programs should include the following:

  1. Twelve semester hours in courses drawn from general psychology (social, experimental, physiological, cognition, motivation, learning, perception, developmental, history or systems);
  2. Twelve semester hours of coursework in theories or methods relevant to the practice of psychology and that may include practicum;  
  3. Six semester hours in statistics and research design; and
  4. A minimum of one practicum, internship or field experience that is equivalent to one semester full time or one year half-time and that is supervised by a licensed practicing psychologist.
How do I become licensed in the USVI?

Applications for licensure shall be accompanied by:

(1)  satisfactory proof that the applicant is at least 21 years of age, is of good moral character, has not been convicted of a felony or a crime of moral turpitude, and is not abusing alcohol or drugs;

(2) a fee as determined by the Board;

(3) certified transcripts verifying satisfactory completion of education course work and/or academic degrees as required in Title 27 Virgin Islands Code Section 169d;

(4) a declaration to the Board and an agreement to continue to declare areas of professional competence through a Statement of Professional Intent, describing the intended use of the license, the client populations with whom the applicant will work, the professional procedures the applicant plans to utilize, including the applicant's theoretical orientation and preferred intervention strategies; and need to verify the satisfactory completion of a doctoral and/or Masters degree based on a planned and directed program of study in psychology from an educational institution accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies recognized and approved by the Council on Post-secondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education.

(5)In the case of an applicant whose degree is from an institution of higher education located outside of the United States, certified transcripts or the equivalent thereof, are to be submitted verifying the satisfactory completion of a program and training substantially equivalent to the standards of training of those institutions in the United States which are accredited by a regional accrediting body recognized by the Council on Post-secondary Accreditation; and the institution from which the education and training was received is officially recognized by the government of the country in which it is located as an institution or program of higher education that trains students to practice as psychologists or psychotherapists.

(6) Original, certified documentation of internship or supervised experience, as appropriate.

If I am licensed in another state and want to work temporarily in the USVI, is there reciprocity?

You may temporarily work in the USVI for thirty (30) days using the license from your home State after you have been approved by the Board. You must contact the Board before performing any service

Is my license subject to renewal?

(a)  A minimum fee of $250.00 shall be paid by any person licensed under this chapter to the board for the original license. Acceptance is determined by the board. Licenses shall be valid for two years and must be renewed biannually. The fee for a license renewal shall be at least $300.00. Any application for renewal of a license after it has expired shall require payment of an additional late fee of $50.00.

(b)  All persons who are licensed under this chapter shall be required to submit at the time of renewal: (1) a license renewal fee, (2) evidence satisfactory to the board of the completion during the previous 24 months of relevant professional continuing education experience.

How can I get more information?

More detailed information regarding the licensure process may be obtained by calling the Board Office at 340-776-8311 x5078.